Kidney Beans are an excellent source of protein and rich in fibre. They rank very low on the glycemic index (GI) which is a measure of how food causes a rise in our blood sugar. Bean starches are slow release carbs. Our digestive system takes longer to process them, resulting in a gradual rise in blood sugar. This makes Kidney Beans very beneficial for people with Type 2 Diabetes.
Tiffinday Kidney Bean and Rhubarb stew comes out of the jar very thick, like the consistency of peanut butter. It’s an extremely versatile product and lends itself well as a spread over bread. So, our chef decided to try it out as a substitute for meat in a club sandwich. The result was simply mouth watering.
This is an easy, quick meal that anyone on the go can enjoy, guilt-free! It literally takes minutes to make.
Meatless Club Sandwich Ingredients
(Makes 1 Sandwich)
- 1 Jar Tiffinday Kidney Bean Stew – Leftovers can be enjoyed later within the week, or frozen for longer.
- 2 Slices Whole Wheat Bread – substitute with gluten free version if desired.
- 2 tablespoons butter – Vegans can substitute this with Olive Oil
- 2 crispy lettuce leaves washed, dried and cut to size of bread slice.
- 1/4 cup grated old cheddar – Vegans can substitute with Daiya Chedder Style Sheds.
- 2 thin slices of tomatoes.
- Equipment needed: Sandwich press
Butter one side of the first bread slice and place it on a slightly warm sandwich press with buttered-side down. Place lettuce leaf on bread; scoop out 2-3 tablespoons of Tiffinday Kidney bean curry and spread it over the lettuce leaf. Layer slices of tomatoes over the kidney bean spread and sprinkle the cheese over the tomatoes. Cap the layers with the second slice of bread and butter the upper side. Close the sandwich press and increase temperature to medium.
And Voila! Within 3 minutes, your sandwich should be ready to enjoy!
Note: Tiffinday’s Kidney Bean & Rhubarb Stew is spicier than the others we make. Try the same recipe with our Chickpea Curry Stew if you want a milder version.