Nachos are a Mexican dish, but did you know it was invented by a Mexican for Americans? In the 1940’s Ignacio “Nacho” Anaya operated a restaurant in the small Mexican border town of Piedras Negras. Some say he worked there as a Maitre D. Regardless, one day, a bunch of Americans from Eagle Pass, Texas came across the border looking for a snack. The chef was AWOL and all Nacho could find in the kitchen were tortilla chips, jalapeno peppers and cheese. So he whipped up the very first nacho dish and named it Nachos Especiales! And from there, this delicious Tex-Mex recipe became world-famous!
Today, nachos have evolved from their simple 3-ingredient origins and almost every restaurant will add their own signature to the recipe. So we decided to get in on the action because our amazing kidney bean curry stew makes a delicious topping over corn chips.
Tiffinday Kidney Bean and Rhubarb Stew
Tiffinday Kidney Bean & Rhubarb Curry Stew is the spicier one in our offering. Traditionally called Rajmah, we gave ours a bit of a twist with Ontario-grown rhubarb for tang, which goes beautifully well with the other spices.
Kidney Beans are an excellent source of protein, rich in fibre and they rank low on the Glycemic Index, making them an ideal meal.
Here’s a quick Nacho recipe that you can whip up in 15 minutes! Perfect for those nights when you want a quick fix for your Netflix binge.
- 1 jar Tiffinday Kidney Bean and Rhubarb Stew. You might have some leftover to enjoy with rice or bread the next day.
- 1 bag of Tortilla Corn Chips.
- 1 large pepper cut into slices, and then roasted with Olive Oil until well charred.
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella (plant-based cheese equivalents will work). Select a variety that will melt but remain stringy.
- Your choice of Salsa
Time needed: 15 minutes.
- Arrange a layer of chips on a large baking dish
- Add a generous topping of Tiffinday Kidney Bean & Rhubarb Curry Stew
- Spoon Salsa over the Stew
- Arrange the Roasted Peppers over the Kidney Beans
Well roasted, and even charred peppers will add a sweet, bitterish taste to compliment the rich flavours of the Kidney Beans and Rhubarb.
- Top librerally with Mozzarella Cheese
- Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes until the cheese has melted
- Tiffinday Nachos are ready. Enjoy!